31 Days of Horror! Scream 2

As it turns out, I have decided to watch the series back to back (something I've never done with this franchise, surprisingly).  Watching the second movie many years later pretty much improved my impression of it overall.  Because I don't own all of the movies yet (another oddity considering my collection), I haven't re-watched the sequels as many times as I have the original.  In keeping with the spirit of the first movie (in poking fun at horror movies in general), this one delivers in true 'sequel' format.  As Randy points out in the movie, the sequel has a higher body count with more elaborate death scenes (and a bit more gore).

What I liked about it: the movie picks up two years after the first film and you get a chance to see how each of the survivors have fared over that time.  New friendships are formed and you can feel the suspicion build from our heroine Sidney right from the start.  Everyone is a suspect and the guessing game begins from the first slice (or stab to be precise).  Of course there are your typical "really? did you just do that?" moments which are in line with the basic premise of the franchise but overall the story was solid and in true nature of a sequel.

Was it better then the first?  Not even close...but sequels rarely, if ever, surpass their predecessor.


Comments