Letter to my coworker


On the first day we received our desks and computers I could overlook your obvious and quite vocal disdain at having an old monitor; your previous job was at an electronics store where you were used to using a 19” flat screen monitor.  I can also accede this to your youth and naivety.  In reality, we are just temps and have seen through observation, that the full time employees do work on dual flat screen monitors that ultimately make their work lives easier.  I also am confident that should we attain their status we will also receive said upgraded monitors.


On said first day at our assigned desks, I can understand your frustration when your login was not activated immediately and a helpdesk ticket needed to be opened.  Whereas my login did work, I shared some of your frustration when my email account was not operational.  I do not share your belief that our IT department is run by “monkeys” and applaud them for working on my issue as quickly as they did.  I understand that there are over 1000 employees working for the company who have greater concerns than the “new hire” who hasn’t even been assigned a single file.  You may have found it humorous to continually degrade the person that was not physically present and was working industriously behind the scenes on a “worthless Windows based program” (your words), but I do not share that philosophy and know, through my own experience in trouble shooting Windows based programs, that his course of action was standard and ultimately successful.  In the future, please keep your opinions to yourself.


I can overlook your insults to my fellow Pittsburghers and their inherent use of the word “yins.”  Considering you are from New York, “yous,” by your own admonition, is not any better.

Where I draw the line however is when you insult my intelligence and, this is where you hit a nerve, have the audacity to believe that you, a minor league, are a better saleswoman than I am.

I am not an idiot.  I know how to run a computer.  The very first computer I ever turned on was a Macintosh before you were even born.  I personally use a PC out of convenience for programs, games and also for affordability.  I know how to fix many of the things that go wrong with a PC.  I am not as ignorant as you to believe that Apple computers are impervious to viruses.  Check your facts before you call those that do know the odds and risks involved idiots and liars.  You are only embarrassing yourself.  Please keep in mind, there is a very large difference between “impossible” and “improbable.”  But if you need further proof, do yourself a favor and google OSX/Leap-A.  There are plenty of sites available for you to read on what occurred in 2006.  In addition, I also recommend you do a little reading on what a computer virus is and how it is spread before you call those that are unfortunate enough to get one “idiots” who “don’t know how to run a computer.” Those that write the codes for viruses and Trojan horses target PC’s because they are more widely used and it is easier for one to become widespread.  You admitted yourself you have no idea how viruses are acquired or spread so how can you adamantly proclaim those that have gotten a virus are “idiots?”  If you wish to have a debate, or even just give your opinion on the matter that is quite acceptable.  But please, do not embarrass yourself further when it is quite obvious you have not done your homework and have very little if any facts to support your theories.

All of this I could overlook and put off to your youth and inexperience with the world and those around you.  I was probably the same way at your age, though I like to think that I may have had more tact.  Hindsight, as they say, is 20/20 and often skewed to the view and memories we want to remember.  But take a word of advice, when you are trying to sell something to someone and they tell you not to try your sales pitch because they themselves are a salesperson, keep your mouth shut and back down.  I may have reached a point in my life where I hate sales and am trying desperately not to have to return to that market, but make no mistake; it is something that I am damned good at.  Even on my worst days when I wasn’t trying to make a sale I could still outsell most of those around me.  But when I had my mind set and really wanted to sell something…the person bought it without even realizing it was my idea in the first place.  So please, save your breath and don’t tell me you have an “irrefutable argument” when I obviously and very easily counter all of your talking points.  And for that matter, please keep your opinions to yourself because this “idiot” has work to do and has no time to listen to your prattle on about your self worth.

Comments