The Overqualifed Applicant


It seems at times that I have almost perfected the art of applying for jobs.  The past few years haven’t shown a shortage of openings, they have merely shown an over abundance of applicants all vying for the same position.  The competition is excruciating and where traditionally, competition is something that I thrive on, in this market, I fear I am at a disadvantage. 

I have heard the term “over qualified” before in regards to applicants and as an employer, I scoffed at the notion.  In my opinion, you are either qualified, or you are not.  Experience was something that I valued and never discounted.  I never felt intimidated by those whom I felt may have been more qualified, better educated, or more intelligent than myself.  That was never into play when I acted in the role of human resources.  These were qualities that I sought out.  They were qualities that I could use and I always felt my store, or department, or even myself as a manager, would benefit from their abilities.

It wasn’t until today halfway through an interview for a second assistant manager position (that I could do in my sleep) that I first felt it.  I can’t explain the revelation, how it felt, how I just knew what I had been suspecting for some time.  Was it possible?  Have I truly hit that mark of being “overqualified?”

When it comes to management, retail specifically, I would have to say yes. 

Humility aside, I cannot say that I have been the best manager, nor the worst.  I have made my fair share of mistakes in handling employee and customer issues alike.  I have had employees and customers steal from me.  I have recovered countless merchandise from those that tried and failed.  I have fired employees, written up more than my fair share for incidences that range from the mundane to borderline criminal.  I have been screamed at, had items thrown at me, been threatened with physical violence, hung up on, verbally abused countless times by employees, customers and management alike and still I take it in stride.  Not much surprises me any more.  I am prepared.  I can handle it, have handled it, and am confident that I can continue to handle whatever is thrown at me.

And it is this knowledge above all else, that I feel separates me from the other candidates.  I am no longer nervous in interviews.  There are no questions to ask when that allotted time comes.  I know the drill; I know what the questions are and what answers I am supposed to give.  I know because it is the same song I have sung for more years than I can remember and there is nothing left for me to ask that I couldn’t answer already.

And I am stuck.  And I feel trapped because there really isn’t a place for me anymore. I have accomplished all that I needed to in those jobs.  I know my self worth.  I accept my shortfalls.  I have nothing to prove to anyone in those positions.  I am not now, nor was I ever, looking for a career.  It was a challenge once but not any more.  I set my goals and exceeded them.  I have nothing to prove.  But what is frustrating, is that I have so much to give and I fear that there is nobody out there willing to listen and learn and use my experience to help them attain their goals, fulfill their ambitions, and reach the heights that I know they are capable of.

And so I remain: stagnant and over qualified.


Comments