31 Days of Horror Preview

Our_House_BW_by_jensequel

If I had to choose what holiday and/or season I enjoyed the most I would have to choose Halloween and fall respectively. There is just something about the end of summer and the beginning of fall when the shadows become longer and the sound of rustling leaves makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end and sends shivers down your spine.

For as long as I can remember, I have always been a fan of horror. I grew up on the classic black and white thrillers on TV and couldn’t get enough of them. Chiller Theatre was my staple as a child and our lives revolved around the movies shown there. I remember many nights staying late at my Grandparent’s house just to finish watching whatever was showing that night. I couldn’t get enough of them and when the show was cancelled, it was the biggest tragedy I encountered as a kid.

Part of doing these reviews I have been watching the films again partly so that they are fresh in my mind, and also partly that I may relive them again. Many of these that I will be listing are on here because they are my personal favorites and I have seen them more times than I can remember. I will admit that limiting myself to only thirty-one movies was difficult…there are just too many! In my efforts to limit the amounts I polled my friends and added a few of their recommendations as well.

This list is in no way to be meant as a definitive guide to horror but I hope you will agree that the ones listed have their rightful place on any top 50 list. That being said, they are not listed in any order due to rankings. The first and last movies are placed in those positions for mere nostalgia and the rest are just thrown in there depending on my mood at the time of posting.

Horror is such a wide genre spanning anywhere from the brutal slasher film to the science fiction creature feature. I have tried to add a selection of films from various sub-genres to mix things up a bit and hopefully you will have fun this month with me as we venture into the creepy unknown…

Please note: Originally I had planned to post one review a day during the month of October however I will be starting a new job and will be training out of town for several weeks. There is a possibility that I may skip a day or post multiple reviews on one day. For this I apologize but seeing as this blog is not my money maker yet, I must follow the pied piper down the lane of earned income through a paying job…Thank you in advance for understanding!

Comments