31 Days of Horror…Event Horizon Movie Review!

event horizon banner

Every once in a while a science fiction movie gets the horror aspect right bringing together two of my favorite genres into one. Event Horizon doesn’t disappoint as it melds the unknown into the isolation of space.

Written by Philip Eisner and directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, Event Horizon stars Laurence Fishburne as Captain Miller, the captain of a rescue ship. Sent on a classified mission with a scientist they do not know and trust, played by Sam Neill, it isn’t until the crew of the Lewis and Clark arrive at the planet Neptune that they are advised of their mission. A transmission from the Event Horizon, a ship reputed to have been destroyed seven years ago with her crew, has suddenly returned into our space. As the crew reels from the sudden knowledge of the ship’s true fate, they set out to search for possible survivors and solve the mystery of where the ship has been for the past seven years. It isn’t long before they realize that the ship that left is nothing compared to what has returned.

I remember when this movie was first being promoted and, as with many films, there was a lot of hype surrounding it. I will say I was not disappointed in the least and immediately fell in love. It has been several years since I have watched it and I must say it still holds its creepiness value. The special effects may not be as high end as today’s movies but the filming is solid and there are a lot of old school techniques that build up tension and leads the viewer right to the edge before snapping them back. Sam Neill is one of my favorite actors and he does a fine job as Dr. William Weir. Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson, Jack Noseworthy and Richard T. Jones costar.

If you’ve stayed with me so far we have hit the midpoint and are sliding rapidly to the end. I hope you have enjoyed your journey so far and I hope you continue on with me as I celebrate these 31 Days of Horror.

Comments