31 Days of Horror! The Awakening Movie Review!



With my current work schedule I am a bit behind on posting.  That being said, Day 5 brings us a film I really wanted to see in the theatre yet missed somehow.  Netflix has once again come to my rescue by having some of the most amazing films available for instant play and I bring to you The Awakening. 

The Awakening stars Rebecca Hall as Florence Cathcart, an educated lady who works with the police on debunking supernatural phenomena in post World War I England.  Dealing with her own demons, Florence is approached by Robert Mallory, a history teacher at a boarding school, to help with the sighting of a ghost on the school’s grounds.  A cynic himself, Mallory presents to Florence the challenge of helping him explain the current death of a child and the supposed link to the ghost of a boy often sighted on the grounds of the school.  Florence accepts and journeys with Mallory to the school to complete her investigation.

In the short time that she stays at the boarding school, Florence solves the mysterious death of the boy Walter.  On the day that she is to leave the boarding school, an event occurs that keeps her on the grounds for a while longer as she digs deeper into the history of the home and tries to determine the events that transpired many years ago before it had been transformed into a boarding school.

I have to admit I am a sucker for ghost stories and this one was simply amazing on many levels.  Directed by Nick Murphy, The Awakening is moody, atmospheric and ethereal.  Written by Nick Murphy and Stephen Volk, the movie not only presents the suspense of a ghost story, it also unfolds a mystery and leaves you waiting for the next clue to present itself.  Many ghost stories today are focused primarily on cheap cinematic tricks meant to shock and awe and they are lacking in actual story.  This isn’t so with The Awakening and I was reminded of many classic films filled with solid acting and story telling.  This is definitely one movie I will be seeking to own and add to my eclectic collection.

Comments