31 Days of Horror! Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) Movie Review!



 
Don’t Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) is a remake of the 1973 made for TV movie by the same name.  Written by Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins and directed by Troy Nixey, the movie stars Guy Pierce and Katie Holmes as investors restoring an old mansion to its former glory.  When Alex’s daughter moves into the home with them, her presence awakens an ancient evil that dwells deep within the basement.

Whereas I did not find this movie to be entirely creepy on the surface, it did have it’s moments of playing with your mind and I am sure I will be mindful of looking into keyholes in the future (or placing my ear too closely to a vent).  I also couldn’t help thinking of Cat’s Eye while watching and thought all of their problems would have been solved sooner if they had General and a few of his friends patrolling the grounds.

It is quite possible that I have seen the original but I honestly cannot remember.  I’m sure I will pick it up eventually and then will reconsider my take on this version but for now, I am not disappointed.  This could of course be due to the house and my romanticizing owning it (with said army of cats mind you).  All in all not a bad watch. 

Comments