31 Days of Horror! Mimic Movie Review!





Perhaps the thing I love most about doing these 31 Days of Horror movie reviews is the fact that I get to revisit all the movies I haven’t seen in a while.  One such movie is Mimic. 

The movie begins with Manhattan in a panicked state; their children are dying rapidly by a terrible illness called Strickler’s Disease.  Unable to find a cure, the CDC recruits the help of entomologist Dr. Susan Tyler in an effort to eliminate the carriers of the disease: the common cockroach.  By unleashing a genetically engineered cockroach, dubbed the Judas Breed, into the city sewers, the scientists sit back and wait wondering if this solution will work.  Three years later the disease has been eliminated and Manhattan is safe…or is it?

Growing up I absolutely adored watching Chiller Theatre and grew a soft spot in my heart for horror.  In my childhood I have seen more than my share of mutant monster movies and consider them a guilty pleasure.  Having seen more than a dozen mutated radiation films it was nice to see an updated scientific flick where man decides to play God and genetically create something without truly realizing the consequences of their actions.

Based on a short story by Donald A Wollheim and directed by Guillermo del Toro, Mimic stars Mira Sorvino as Dr. Susan Tyler with Jeremy Northam as her colleague and husband Dr. Peter Mann.  Charles S Dutton and Josh Brolin costar in this thriller/horror film. 

Over the years I have heard many a complaint about this movie and quite honestly feel they are not 100% fair.  To all those arguments that dictate this movie is terrible simply on the basis that “it could never happen,” I counter with this simple question: if you are looking for a movie that is based 100% in fact and is plausible in real life, then you are standing in the wrong section and need to seek out a documentary.  But then again, with all of the weirdness that exists in the realm of science, I doubt you would believe it either.  To the rest of you willing to suspend reality for an hour or two, welcome to my world and may you forever be creeped out by the “what-if” scenario.

Until next time…enjoy! 

Comments