31 Days of Horror! Sinister Movie Review!





Ethan Hawke stars as Ellison Oswalt, a talented investigator and true crime writer who is trying to make a better life for his family without compromising his dreams.  When he moves his family into the home where a family was murdered and their young daughter is still missing, he gets more than he bargained for.  On the first day of their move, Ellison finds a box of home movies in the attic.  After watching the first film, he realizes that he has discovered something much more sinister.

I will admit, from the moment I watched the first trailer I thought this movie was going to be a tremendous hit and a definite keeper.  Ethan Hawke played a remarkable role as Ellison and the events that occurred in the house during the investigation were spot on.  The ending was predictable after watching the first ten minutes but this still didn’t hamper the experience and the suspense of watching Ellison get to the same conclusion.  What bothered me was the ending.

Without getting into any details and spoiling the ending for you I will tell you the ending was anti-climatic and left me feeling empty.  I suppose it is my own fault for having higher expectations or of being an eternal optimist.  Whatever the reason, I was severely disappointed.

I’m sure I am in the minority on this one and after having a few discussions with friends who loved the film I am positive that many of you will enjoy this film as they did.  Maybe I will let it sit for a few more years before I revisit the film but for now I am happy I merely rented instead of buying this movie.

Comments