Book Review! A Tale of Two Biddies by Kylie Logan






Summer can be the best of times or the worst of times for the resort town of Put-in-Bay on Lake Erie. For Bea Cartwright, business is booming as guests storm her B and B for the Bastille Day celebration. In honor of the holiday, the League of Literary Ladies is reading the Charles Dickens’ classic, A Tale of Two Cities. It would be hard to make a more apropos selection—especially when they have their very own Defarge sisters, elderly twins Margaret and Alice, who run the local knitting shop.

On Bastille Day, the head-banging rock band Guillotine shows their chops for the tourists—but the celebration is soon cut short. With something needling the Defarge dowagers and secrets that lead to murder, solving this mystery will be a far, far better thing than the Literary Ladies have done before. They’ll just have to make sure to keep their heads while they try to stop a killer’s reign of terror…


A Tale of Two Biddies is the second book in Kylie Logan’s League of Literary Ladies series.  I didn’t realize this when I first picked it up and had I not been reading it for a book club I would have stopped when I did.  In the beginning I was a little lost about the characters and their history but I pushed this aside to focus on the current story.

What I did enjoy about this book was the main character Bea Cartwright.  Bea is a well rounded character that is the owner of a bed and breakfast and, from what I was able to piece together, she is also the leader of the League of Literary Ladies.  I enjoyed reading about her love interest with Levi and also her interaction with the other ladies in the league.  What I did not enjoy was the superficial treating of the other ladies and how they only appeared more as props and not genuine members of the investigative team.  Throughout the book, there are only cursory mentions of them and their contribution toward solving the mystery seems minimal at best.  This doesn’t detract from the story per se…but it is a disappointment as I wanted to know more about them.

Overall, this is a fast and fun read with an enjoyable mystery.  I will pick up and read the first book in the series as it appears to be more relevant than other reviewers would lead you to believe.  And after such, I will more than likely read more by Kylie Logan.

Comments