Movie Review! Captain America: The Winter Soldier





Last weekend I finally got a chance to see this and I have to say I was impressed.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier is part drama, part spy thriller, and, of course, part action film.  Unlike in the first movie where the story built slowly and had action highlights, this movie moves you along quite nicely from one element to the next weaving a storyline that will ultimately shake up the entire Marvel Universe.

The movie starts off with Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, working for S.H.I.E.L.D. and adjusting to contemporary life.  While leading a mission to save hostages, Steve uncovers a separate mission to recover data that was assigned to Natasha Romanoff, aka Black Widow.  Angry at Fury, the head of S.H.I.E.L.D., Steve begins to question his role within the organization.  Not soon after this, a series of events occur, including the arrival of the Winter Soldier, which ultimately lead Rogers to question everything and everyone around him.

What I liked most about this film was the inclusion of Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) as more than a cursory role.  We also get a chance to learn a little bit more about Nick Fury (Samuel L Jackson) and the introduction of Falcon (Anthony Mackie) was an additional bonus.

If you haven’t seen any of the other Marvel movies, I wouldn’t worry too much on seeing them before this one.  I do recommend that you watch Captain America: the First Avenger as The Winter Soldier is a definite sequel and there are key plot points you will miss out on.  As sequels go, this is one of the few that outshines the original and I don’t believe you will be disappointed.


Comments