Movie Review! Shallow Ground





Written and directed by Sheldon Wilson the movie stars Timothy V. Murphy, Stan Kirsch and Lindsey Stoddart.


A naked teenage boy covered in blood appears at a remote sheriff's station one year after the brutal unsolved murder of a local girl. Now Sheriff Jack Shepherd, guilt ridden over the girl's murder, must confront his own demons as he desperately searches for the boy's true identity and possible victims. Little does Jack realize that he has started down a path that will bring him face to face with an unthinkable horror. Before sunrise the living will pay for the pain the dead have suffered. 


I watched this movie last week and for several days now I have been thinking about how to write this review.  I liked it.  I didn’t like it.  I liked it.  But…I didn’t like it…Faced with this conundrum, here’s the breakdown.

What I liked:  the storyline was a pretty decent one.  It was all too obvious what was going on right from the jump.  I knew who the boy was before they revealed it and I knew why he had come to the Sheriff’s office.  Maybe it’s because I’ve seen way too movies in this genre or maybe it was just too blatantly obvious but this didn’t stop me from wanting to watch more.  The beginning progressed fairly well and added a decent portion of mystery.

What I didn’t like:  the film was too long.  But wait a minute, you ask…it was only 97 mins…how can it be too long?  The entire middle of the movie was drawn out with senseless dialogue and searches through the forest and mindless yards of film meant to take what would have been a wonderful short film into a full length feature film.  If I’m continually checking the clock to see how much longer I have to watch, then maybe you haven’t captured my attention quite like you should for a horror movie.

Torn between both opinions I suppose I will let you ultimately decide. 

Comments