Movie Review! Crawlspace (2012)





Crawlspace is a 2012 Australian sci-fi action horror film directed by Justin Dix and starring Ditch Davey, Amber Clayton and Nicholas Bell.  The plot is common amongst this genre: we have a distress call from a secret underground laboratory and an elite commando squad is dispatched to clean up the mess.  Been there, done that but there is a subtle twist that carries you throughout the movie and keeps you wondering just what the hell else is going on.

I first saw this movie a few years ago and subsequently forgot about it.  That happens a lot when I go on movie binges on Netflix which is one downside to online streaming.  You would be surprised at how many post-it notes I have floating around my house with titles of books and movies scribbled on them yet somehow I always forget them when it’s time to hit the store.  So it came as a great surprise when I stumbled upon this movie in my recommended queue and I wondered why I had rated it so high.  Of course I had to watch it again and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised…again.

I have yet to come across a movie that is bullet proof should you decide to take aim and tear this film apart.  All films have their highs and lows but if you have been following my reviews you know that my number priority in rating movies is based solely on their entertainment value.  At the very least I expect my attention to be drawn toward the screen and not elsewhere and this one delivered on both accounts.  The last 5 minutes could use a little help but this is true in pretty much every film I watch.  Maybe one day the screenwriters will stop trying to come up with “something new” or “something shocking” and instead deliver a quality ending and leave it at that.  All things considered, I can forgive them this tiny fault.  If you are looking for a movie that will creep you out from time to time and make you think just a little bit then I recommend this one to be on your list.  I of course have scribbled the title down once more and will (hopefully) add this to my collection one day.

Comments