Movie Review! Hercules





August isn’t always the best month for movie releases and my birthday falls short of traveling to the theater to view what I want, but this year was an exception with multiple releases I could really sink my teeth into.  Though technically released in July, Hercules tops out the last of my birthday movie wish list and I have to say it didn’t disappoint (even my mom and sister who I dragged to see it with me agree).

Hercules stars Dwayne Johnson as the legendary son of Zeus.  Based on a graphic novel by Steve Moore, the movie takes place after the demigod’s legendary twelve labors and focuses on his time spent in Thrace as a mercenary for hire.  Co-starring Ian McShane, Rufus Sewell, Ingrid Bolso Berdal, Reece Ritchie and Aksel Hennie as Hercules’ companions and brothers-in-arms, the film explores the man behind the myth.

If you can skip the common misnomer between the Greek and Roman mythos and commit yourself to watching an enjoyable action adventure story, then you will enjoy this movie.  The merry band of mercenaries are fleshed out just enough to like and offer some humor throughout.  Though the storyline is predictable at best, the stunts are all that really matter in any self-respecting action film.

If you haven’t seen it yet, this is a great movie to watch on the big screen and is still showing in many locations.  It’s worth watching for the sheer fun and adventure and will leave you believing that some legends are real.


Comments