Movie Review! You're Next





Lately I have been so busy with my artwork and rewatching my favorite TV shows while I paint that I haven't taken the time to watch many movies.  Hence this blog has been filled with more book reviews then movie reviews.  Tonight I decided to switch things up a bit and paint while watching a movie and what better genre then my fav - horror. 

Netflix has rarely steered me wrong so when I saw this in my recommend list I thought "why not."  Admittedly when it was released in the theaters I thought it would make a better rental and skipped going.  The trailer for it really makes the movie seem ho-hum and the plot overdone.  But if there is one thing I am a sucker for, it is survivalist movies and this one fits the bill nicely.

The movie starts off slow like most horror as it builds the basics on the characters.  The Davison family is celebrating their parent's wedding anniversary and gather together in their vacation home far away from civilization.  When they are all gathered in one room having dinner with the typical family squabbles, the house quickly becomes under siege as men in animal masks begin picking them off one by one.

Written by Simon Barrett and directed by Adam Wingard, You're Next stars Sharni Vinson, Nicholas Tucci and AJ Bowen.  There are some definite moments that will leave you wondering how intelligent the characters are, but certain things can be overlooked when the whole of the movie is taken into account.  If you have put off this movie thinking that it is a ripoff of The Strangers, I highly recommend you reconsider.  The trailer simply does not do it justice and if you are a fan of this genre you will not be disappointed.  This one is a definite keeper for future rewatching.


Comments