Book Review! Night Visitor by Dianne Emley



When I received the opportunity to read this book prior to its release I was excited based on the description alone.  I am a sucker for mysteries and paranormal stories so the two combined were a definite win for me.  This was also my first book by Dianne Emley and I am always searching for a new author.  That being said, where I enjoyed the book overall, I didn’t exactly find it stellar either.

The book starts off with a bang (no pun intended) with Junior Lara returning to his loft apartment one night only to meet a tragic end.  We are then transported five years later in the present and find his fate to be that of an extended coma.  Having been shot in the head, he remains in a vegetative state and is presented like that of a toddler in his mentality where he coos and rolls around on the bed when his mother shows him a stuffed toy.  This I can handle.  This is understandable.  He also continues to have visions of the night where he was shot and has created a psychic connection with his brother showing him the same evening over and over in his brother’s dreams in an effort to clear his name.  This I can also understand.  The plot development that threw me was when Junior finally reaches out to his ex-fiancé, Rory, and uses an old memory of the two of them together to mentally possess her through cerebral sex that kind of creeped me out.

The mystery of who shot Rory’s sister, Anya, and framed Junior was well played.  Some of the characters were well developed but they seemed to be surrounded by a host of caricatures.   Rory’s current fiancé Tom needs to be given a medal for being the most understanding man on the planet, and I think I would have liked him to be a bit less understanding and more assertive in his desire to break the connection between the two and save the love of his life (but maybe that’s just me).

Overall this is a fairly decent read.  This is my first book by Dianne Emley and I’m sure it will not be my last.  If you like your mysteries on the weird side this is a good pick for you.

Comments