Movie Review! Oldboy (2013)





Josh Brolin stars in this remake of the classic revenge movie of the same name.  The original movie by Chan Wook-park has been in my Netflix queue for years, but when I saw this version available for instant play I hurried to watch it so that I could give an unbiased review.  I'm not really a fan of Spike Lee, but I am a fan of Josh Brolin so that was the main sale for me.

Josh Brolin stars as Joe Doucett, an alcoholic and all around jerk.  One night when he is at his lowest low, he meets with a strange woman in the rain.  In the morning, Joe awakens in what looks like a motel room only to discover there is no way out.  He is clothed and fed on a regular basis with his only contact to the outside world is a television set that helps him count down the years.

Twenty years later, Joe is set free and he begins his quest for vengeance as he tries to track down those responsible for his detainment.

Again, I cannot compare this version to the original, but as it stands it is a decent revenge movie.  The clues to the mystery are fed to us at a decent pace leading up to the ultimate reveal as to why.

Elizabeth Olsen, Sharlto Copley and Samuel Jackson co-star.  If you haven't seen the original, I'd recommend taking the route I have and watch this one first.  Now I have to dig through my queue to find the original so I can see what I've been missing...

Comments