31 Days of Horror – Almost Human (2013)





October may occur at the same time every year but somehow this year it kind of snuck up on me…That being said, I usually have a plan for my 31 Days of Horror movie binge watching but am unprepared this year.  Never fear my horror loving fans, this year I am surrendering myself entirely up to Netflix Recommends to see just how much a computer can tell about my viewing tastes…This should prove interesting to say the least.

To kick off the month, I am reviewing a movie I watched months ago and somehow neglected to review but felt it was good enough to start off this year’s list:  Almost Human.  I am of course referring to last year’s sci-fi horror film and not Fox’s short lived (yet wonderfully done) sci-fi police drama television show.

Almost Human (the movie) was written and directed by Joe Begos.  Starring Graham Skipper, Josh Ethier, and Vanessa Leigh, this film had me checking multiple times at the year it was created because it honestly had the look and feel of a classic horror film circa late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s (right down to the super slow credits at the end and the grainy look to the film itself).  My inner horror film geek was pleasantly surprised and happy about this in ways only a true horror fan can relate to.

So what’s it about, you ask?  Well, here’s the synopsis:

Mark Fisher disappeared from his home in a brilliant flash of blue light almost two years ago. His friend Seth Hampton was the last to see him alive. Now a string of grisly, violent murders leads Seth to believe that Mark is back, and something evil is inside of him.

While Almost Human may not have the glib dialogue that horror movies made after the ‘90’s have, it does have the essential elements that reintroduced the genre way back when Craven and Carpenter were making names for themselves.  The pacing of the film may be slow at times, but it is filled with enough “ew!” factors to forgive them.

So there you have it folks…the first of 31 films that I will be sharing with you during my favorite month of the year as I count down to Halloween!  Whether they are good, or bad, or what-the-hell-was-that, I will be sharing my viewing with you here so stay tuned!


Comments