31 Days of Horror – Silent House





Been there done that way too many times…This is my overwhelming thought after having endured 86 minutes of shaky and oftentimes blurry camera footage while watching this movie.  And of course the plot has been done too many times to count.  Of course, repetition isn’t always a bad thing because there are movies out there that have rehashed plot lines and have done them effectively.  I don’t think I can accuse Silent House of making any headway in that department.

But I don’t want to be entirely negative about the movie.  Many viewers have found it to be quite scary in parts and reportedly jumped at many times.  Not so with this viewer.  I found it dull.  And bland.  And I figured out the ending in under 5 minutes.  I spent the rest of the time coming up with different scenarios in my head – my writer ‘what-if ‘ questions that I use when writing my books.  Sadly, none of them occurred.

Silent House is a remake of a low-budget Uruguayan film titled La Casa Muda.  Laura Lau wrote the script for Silent House based solely on viewing the film twice and directed it with Chris Kentis.  It was filmed to resemble one continuous shot following the lead character Sarah played by Elizabeth Olsen.  Elizabeth Olsen is probably the only saving grace to this movie as she does a fairly decent portrayal of a scared girl running through a dark house.

If you like shaky and blurry camera footage of a running girl with close-ups of her terrified face then you may enjoy this movie.  Others seem to find it tense and frightening.  Maybe I’m just numb to all of that…Love it or leave it, I’ll leave it up to you to decide.


Comments