Book Review! If You’ve Got It, Haunt It by Rose Pressey





Cookie Chanel owns a vintage clothing shop and spends much of her time at estate sales to replenish her inventory.  When a local fashionista Charlotte Meadows is murdered, Cookie is thrilled to get an opportunity to buy some of her clothes for her shop.  But Cookie gets more than she bargained for when Charlotte’s ghost follows Cookie home and demands she solve her murder.

All in all the book was a fast read and not a terrible one at that.  The murder “mystery” isn’t really a mystery because it’s obvious in the first few chapters who the killer was.  The ultimate reveal was a let down and the capture was a bit overboard with the fashion flare.  There were two other mysteries that were brought up in the book but never touched on that left me disappointed - mainly why Cookie was able to see Charlotte’s ghost, and is the cat, Wind Song, her Grandmother reincarnate?

I did enjoy reading about her friend Heather who provided some humor.  Being a cozy mystery I expected there to be more in the way of romance but that was disappointing as well.  The interest was there but not well played out in my opinion.  The helpful hints could also have been a bit more in touch with the contents of the chapters and quite honestly I stopped reading them half way in because of this.

Overall I’m not sure that I will read the next one in this series but I will try one of Rose’s other series because I did like her writing.  I just wasn’t attached to Cookie and though I love clothes and vintage I love mystery more and the book seemed to be more focused on what everyone was wearing and not what was going on around them.



Comments