Movie Review! Automata





I remember when I first saw the trailers for this movie I wanted to see it in the theaters.  Somehow, I completely missed it and forgot about it until it popped up in my recommends on Netflix.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am so happy that Netflix knows me so well!

Automata stars Antonio Banderas as Jacq Vaucan, a tired, insurance claims adjustor.  His job is to investigate claims against Pilgrims, fully automated, humanoid robots, and insure they have not violated any of the three protocols.  While investigating a claim by a police officer that a Pilgrim was self-modifying itself, Vaucan bites off a whole lot more than he can chew.

Now, I know what you are thinking - just another hum-drum self-aware sci-fi flick right?  Yes...and ultimately no.  Some of the main principles may apply throughout all science fiction movies, but the real challenge today is not necessarily to come up with anything new (though that is exciting and awe inspiring), but to make an environment and tell a story that is compelling.  And it never hurts to have an actor who truly makes the movie worth watching.  This is probably one of Antonio's better films and his performance made this movie what it is (in my opinion at least).

Automata co-stars Birgitte Hjort Sorensen, Robert Forster, Dylan McDermott, and Melanie Griffith.  If you like dystopian worlds, give this movie a go!


Comments