Movie Review! The Gunman






Having read all of the box-office reports, and other reviews on the bombing of The Gunman in theaters on its opening weekend, I decided to see the movie anyway.  I have never been one to judge a movie based on a bad critique (and I'd advise the same principle to all of my readers), but rather, I go and see the movie and make a decision for myself.  And I have to say that I am happy that I continue to make my own decisions or I would have missed out on an excellent action film that actually had a decent plot to it.

The Gunman stars Sean Penn as an ex-Special Forces agent turned mercenary.  The movie starts out eight years ago in the Congo and shows us the operation that started/ended it all for Jim Terrier.  Cut to the present day and we find Terrier back in the Congo but working with a GMO on a humanitarian mission.  But, as with all things, the past never seems to stay buried, and an attempt is made on his life causing Terrier to look up old team mates and try to find out why someone is trying to kill him.

Directed by Pierre Morel, The Gunman co-stars Jasmine Trinca, Javier Bardem, Mark Rylance, Ray Winstone, and Idris Elba.  As evidenced by the release of the movie Titanic (where it became a contest to young girls as to how many times they could watch the movie), box office scores have been dictated by the youth.  I think many of the poor numbers may be indicative to the timing of the release.  Let's face it, Cinderella and Insurgent are definitely going to win over an action film with an aging movie star who isn't the teen beat hottie of the month.  For those of us who just really enjoy a good old fashioned action movie, this is a definite must see!  You will not be disappointed!

Comments