Movie Review! Preservation





I finally took some time out to catch up on my Netflix queue and watch a movie.  Lately, all I've had time for has been re-runs of television shows playing in the background while I work.  Netflix has added quite a few new horror movies for instant play, and I decided it's about time to catch up.

First up in my queue was a recently added survival movie: Preservation.

Three friends decided to spend the weekend in the woods and catch up on old memories.  The first day goes smoothly, yet when they wake up in the morning, all of their equipment is gone, including the tent they slept in/on, and their fiercely loyal German shepherd.  And they have X's written on their foreheads.  Left with no food or water, not to mention pants for the lady and shoes for all three, they decide to hike it back to the car.  Of course, when they get close to their destination, the three split up (in good old fashioned horror movie style) and this is when the hunting begins.

I've seen a lot of horror movies.  I know the formula.  I can overlook the obvious character mistakes if they plot and/or kill scenarios are well planned.  This movie just had way too many loopholes in it for me to suspend enough reality and enjoy the flick for what it should have been.  It wasn't so much the character development, or the fight scenes, or the ultimate revenge/survival play-out.  What lost it for me was the inability of the filmmakers to make me believe that something like this could happen - no matter how bizarre the circumstances, or how stupid the set-up is.  And this didn't work for me.

I won't say that I hated it.  I've seen a heck of a lot worse.  This one falls somewhere in the 'meh' category.  It wasn't a complete waste of time, and it would certainly make a great Saturday rainy day movie when you're bored.

If you don't have Netflix, never fear - Amazon has Preservation to stream online.  And, if you happen to like it, they also have it at a good cost for sale.


Comments