Movie Review! Extraterrestrial




I'm not going to lie to you, when I saw this movie poster in my feed for Netflix, I just couldn't help but think of the Stephen King book, Dreamcatcher.  (And I honestly admit, this may be the sole reason I started watching it).  Now, I know this movie has absolutely nothing to do with King's book, it was merely an impression, but sometimes, I find good movies this way.  With Extraterrestrial, I'm a bit torn.

The plot is simple (and easily marks the set up for a traditional slasher film though it has a twist): a group of young adults venture to an isolated cabin for a weekend of partying and wind up being harassed by aliens.  Yep.  It's a science fiction / horror movie!  (One of my favorite sub-genres).


I don't want to give away any plot points, but I am teetering on the edge of did I like, or didn't I?  Even after a few days pondering this question, I'm still not sure. 

Written by the Vicious Brothers (Colin Minihan & Stuart Ortiz), and directed by Colin Minihan, the movie seems to jump back and forth between a horror film, and a science fiction film.  And, unfortunately for the viewer, it never really seems to successfully blend the two genres together.  Had the creators stayed with one genre and run with it, it would have been much better.  I think it's only saving grace was the nod to the X-File's at the end...

The movie stars Brittany Allen, Freddie Stroma, Gil Bellows, Sean Rogerson, and Michael Ironside.


Comments