Movie Review! Leprechaun: Origins

It's no surprise that Hollywood absolutely loves remaking movies.  Their current terminology is no longer to call it a "remake" but to dub it a "reboot."  Call it what you will, it is what it is.  Some of these "reboots" have been done well, others, not so much.  I would have to place this one in the former category.

I remember when the first Leprechaun movie was released in 1993, but honestly I don't remember much about it.  I would have to see it again to rate whether I liked it or not but, considering I can't remember...I either thought it was so-so, or I didn't see it.  Either way, I thought the new one merited watching and I'm glad I did.

The storyline is basic - two couples traveling through Ireland tracking down historical places.  When they make it to a small village, they are convinced to spend the night by one of the locals so that they can explore an abandoned cave/mine in the morning.  Once settled into their beds, it isn't long after night falls before they discover that something is amiss.

Stephanie Bennett, Andrew Dunbar, Brendan Fletcher, and Melissa Roxburgh star as the hapless couples trying desperately to survive the night.  Dylon Postl co-stars as the Leprechaun.  Though they never showed the leprechaun's face in complete focus, this tactic wasn't annoying (surprisingly) and added to the suspense.  In my opinion, sometimes, it's just better (i.e. more frightening) not to know what the creature in the dark looks like.

Love it, or hate, this was a great Saturday afternoon movie!


Comments