31 Days of Horror! Blood Glacier

High up in the Austrian Alps, 3 technicians, 1 scientist, and 1 dog man a research facility measuring the effects of climate change on a receding glacier.  One day, they notice a red organism on the glacier making it appear as though it were bleeding.  Add a 'rabid' fox, a wounded dog, and an unknown organism, and you get a movie similar to The Thing (but without the aliens).

Before watching this, I sifted through quite a number of poor reviews on Netflix searching for one written by a lover of horror and cheesy movies.  I think I only came across one before I actually decided to just hit play.  This movie is in German with English subtitles but I did watch the dubbed version (since I was busy cooking breakfast and getting ready for work).  Even with voice overs, I really enjoyed this movie! 

Typically, decent creature features are hard to come by and I wind up relying on the Syfy network (they are the only ones who seem to share the same love of cheese that I do).  When a creature feature also ties in a possible environmental catastrophe, I am instantly in love.

Blood Glacier certainly has it's flaws (heck, even Academy Award winners have flaws), and there is one scene that will leave you shaking your head in a wtaf manner (see spoiler alert below), but this only adds to the charm and kept me entertained throughout.

Ignore the hate, sit back and enjoy the movie for the entertainment value it holds.

***SPOILER ALERT***

The one and only - where the heck did she come from - was the absolute random girl running through the alps in shorts with her face painted while being chased by a bird of prey.  I'm sure most people will fault the movie for not answering this question, but for me, the sheer fact that not one character dared ask where she came from, or why she was by herself scantily dressed, only adds to the charm and makes me snicker even now.  I'm sure her back story was left on the cutting room floor but somehow, I don't think an extra five minutes to show her point of origin would have hurt.  Of course, the movie may lose it's charm so there is that...

Comments