31 Days of Horror! Bloody April Fools (Los Innocentes)

When a ski trip is hampered by the weather (i.e. no snow), a group of friends stumble upon an abandoned hostel and decide to spend the night and party rather than continue the long drive home.  But, unfortunately for them, someone else has plans for them that doesn't involve drinking or having sex.

When I first saw that this movie was subtitled, I almost didn't watch it today. (Not because I have anything against subtitles, only that I am usually doing about three other things while watching a movie and don't have the time to just sit and stare at the screen).  But, considering the movie was only a hair over 1 hour long, I thought "why not."  And I'm glad I didn't push it off to another day.

This Spanish movie is a little gem and is in true American "slasher" style of old.  (I'm talking Prom Night and Hell Night).  And it's a movie I wish more American creators of horror would get back into filming and steer away from the modern template that is more than a bit stale.  Though there was one part of this movie that steered away from the classics (when they decided to film via the shaky cell phone vantage point running through the woods (can we get over this style of filming please!)) it lost lots of points from me.  (Thankfully, this horrendous filming portion only lasted about 5 - 10 minutes).  I will give it props though for the death scenes and the ending was much better than most I've seen recently.

All in all, a definite recommend.  Seriously, watch the subtitled version.  It's worth it.

Comments