31 Days of Horror! Dark was the Night

Strange occurrences begin happening in the small town of Maiden Woods only a few days after a logging company sets up shop a few miles north of town.  Animals go missing, and strange cloven hoof prints are seen throughout town after an overnight snowfall.  Local legends speak of an ancient evil and everyone is on edge as a major storm is about to hit. 

Kevin Durand stars as Sheriff Shields with Lukas Haas co-starring as his Deputy as they try to solve the mystery and keep everyone safe.

Honestly, going into this movie I had zero expectations.  I think that had more to do with the fact that I was extremely tired when I watched this, but I have to say I really enjoyed this movie.  It had the same bleak feel to it that 30 Days of Night had before the vampires hit town.  The characters were all well scripted, the actors were great, and the filming was well done.  I especially liked how they didn't show the creature until the very end.  I suppose if I had to pick one thing I didn't like, I wish they had kept the creature primarily hidden and never truly revealed what it looked like.  Sometimes, the monster in the dark is better off unseen when you are dealing with horror.  Something I wish more people in the film industry understood and appreciated.

Overall, a true win and one I recommend on this countdown to Halloween...

Comments