31 Days of Horror! Exeter

Imagine this: a group of kids host a rave in an abandoned mental hospital and unwittingly summon a demon who possesses one of them.  Pretty standard fare for a horror movie.  Drinking, drugs, sex, not to mention the typical line up of friends (sex bunnies, good kid, young kid, new kid, stoner, and the comedic kid).  Pretty formulaic if you ask me.  But this is not necessarily always a bad thing.

I think somewhere in this movie there was a story that needed to be told.  And thinking about the movie in hindsight as I write this, it is probably a really good story.  Unfortunately, it got lost somewhere after the party ended in the first twenty minutes, and our happy cast of characters banded together to sober up before going home.

There were a few highlights along the way that helped garner a laugh or two out of me while watching.  The DIY Exorcism app was a giant red flag that this movie was going nowhere fast.  I also appreciated the cheese curls stuck to the shoulders of the 'stoner' character as well.  Nothing like watching what is supposed to be a frightening rendition of an exorcism performed on a possessed child while a character stands by in his underwear with cheese curls stuck to his back.

In ending, I can't say this is one that I'd recommend.  Possession movies are just not my forte.  If this had been about a haunting, or a straight slasher/revenge movie, it may have been salvaged.  Even if they had invested making this a horror comedy, it may have been a lot better.  As it stands, I think it fell short of it's target.  But I'll let you be the judge.



Comments