31 Days of Horror! Crimson Peak



When this movie was first released in the theaters I remember how excited I was to want to see this. Situations occurred that prevented me from seeing it on the big screen. Time progressed and I almost forgot about it. When I was searching for movie ideas for these 31 Days of Horror, I hurriedly put it in my queue!

The premise:  After marrying the charming and seductive Sir Thomas Sharpe, young Edith finds herself swept away to his remote gothic mansion in the English hills. Also living there is Lady Lucille, Thomas' alluring sister and protector of her family's dark secrets. Able to communicate with the dead, Edith tries to decipher the mystery behind the ghostly visions that haunt her new home. As she comes closer to the truth, Edith may learn that true monsters are made of flesh and blood.

I have always been a fan of ghost stories and haunted mansions and typically devour them every chance I get. Unfortunately, today's movies seem to all be carbon copies of Paranormal Activity. Add to this the modern horror director's inability to stop using the shaky camera technique, and you have a recipe for disaster. At least in this viewer's opinion. Thankfully, Guillermo del Toro knows how to make a classic ghost story.

The characters are well thought out, the scenery fantastic, the acting superb, and the special effects are chilling to say the least. If you missed this like I did, pick up a copy to watch. You won't be disappointed.