31 Days of Horror! Final Girl



I'd been avoiding this movie for a long time in my Netflix queue. Due to the length, and this countdown, I decided...why not give it a shot?!  And I'm glad that I did.

The plot, young assassin set loose on an unsuspecting group of sociopath serial killers, is simple enough.  The hunt/kill scenes are pretty generic on the surface as is the cold relationship between the assassin in training and her trainer.  None of the characters are fully fleshed out and remain almost flat with hints of depth beneath the surface.  What really lured me as I watched this, was the artful filming.

The lead in to the movie focused primarily on Veronica's training. When the movie finally got around to her final test and we were introduced to the band of boy killers, I was continually reminded of the film The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.  Each scene from Final Girl was beautifully crafted through the use of color, and costume, and the posturing of the characters.  The girls were all dressed in 1950's style dress, the boys in suits and tuxedos with suspenders.  The diner where they met was very much out of an Archie comic which further played upon the choice of the main character's name.  Add to this the well orchestrated kill scenes at the end and you have one messed up visual masterpiece.

Acting aside, the movie scores points for me on a visual level.  (Plus I have a serious soft spot for revenge movies even if the revenge isn't necessarily personal).  Day 11 is done on this countdown to Halloween!  I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far and stick around for what's in store the rest of the month.