31 Days of Horror! The Maus


Alex and Selma are a couple in love on a trip to the heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina to discover more about each other. Lost and seemingly surrounded by land mines a pair of locals offer to guide them.
After watching numerous haunted house movies, I decided to search for a creature feature.  Reading the description on this one, I thought it sounded intriguing.  And, more often than not, I have been liking a number of foreign horror movies better than the American ones released.

And here is where my conundrum lies: whether or not to post this review as part of my 31 Days of Horror.  I debated whether to leave it alone or title it differently but feel it's only fair to post as the 31 Days because it was tagged as being horror, I watched it thinking it was horror, and discovered it definitely was anything but horror.  So I felt it appropriate to post this review so as to warn any potential viewers.

I know there are multiple sub-genres of horror but this movie did not fit into any of them.  Yes, there is a creature in the film, but it's only shown twice and if viewed in context, it goes much deeper than a simple horror creature feature designation.

If you are looking for a drama, this is a good pick.  When looked at as a drama, this movie had some beautifully filmed scenes and it reminded me of many independent film festival selections.