Series Review! To the Lake (Epidemiya )

 To The Lake Season 1

I first started watching this series back in October 2020 when it first dropped on Netflix.  It really grabbed my attention but finding time to watch it really became an issue and I was unable to finish it then.  And then more and more shows arrived on Netflix, the holidays came and went and it became buried in my queue.  After finishing a few new series, I started going through my queue to see what I'd forgotten and came across this gem.  Finally, I was able to finish it this morning before work.

To the Lake (original title is Epidemiya ) is a Russian series based on a zombie apocalypse.  It follows two families trying to escape the inner city and survive as they seek refuge in a remote cabin in the middle of a lake. Each episode is chock full of challenges the families have to face; the biggest one - living with each other.

I'm really not a huge fan of zombie-type shows/movies but every once in awhile one will surprise me.  I first started watching this simply because of Kirill Karo.  I first watched him in the series Better Than Us and I really enjoyed that series so I figured I'd give this one a shot.  Instead of watching the subtitled version, I watched the dubbed.  Overall, the dubbing is not too terrible.  The child actor's dub is atrocious but thankfully he doesn't have a large speaking role and I didn't need to switch over to subtitles.

I can't say that this series had anything earth-shattering within.  It is primarily a drama that focuses on the relationships between the characters.  Some episodes were like watching a train wreck that you just had to finish to see how it panned out.  The last episode was great and left off with an excellent cliff hanger.  Thankfully, the series has been renewed for a second season.  Now it's just a matter of time until it's available to watch.  I don't think I'll put it off for as long when Netflix attains the rights to stream it.  I really just need to see where they will be going with this next.

To the Lake

Comments