Movie Review! The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion

Netflix has been hounding me for over a year recommending this movie to me nearly every time I log in.  When it was first recommended, I placed it immediately in my queue but kept putting off watching it (mainly because the trailer on Netflix looked boring even if the description was intriguing).  Add to that, the time constraint I have for watching movies (the film is over two hours long) and it is subtitled (not really an issue other than I usually am doing other things when watching and subtitles force me to sit still and do only one thing...watch the movie).  That being said, I decided this past weekend to make myself sit and watch a movie uninterrupted by other things.  So I gave it a shot.  And I regret waiting so long to see it.

The movie starts off with a bang.  I'm not going to describe it because you just need to see it.  It picks up several years later and revolves around Koo Ja Yoon, an amnesiac high school student who lives a fairly isolated life with her adopted parents.  When her best friend convinces her to enter a televised talent show, Ja Yoon's life gets a bit more complicated when people from her past suddenly resurface.

I will admit, the first hour and a half is primarily character based and doesn't have a lot of action.  Once the action starts, it is non-stop and I was glued to my screen!  Needless to say, once the credits rolled, I was instantly on google to find out when Part 2 would be released.

And here's the biggest disappointment...

From what I found, the production was initially delayed and fans have been anxiously awaiting Part 2.  From a post on Twitter, the 2nd installment will be called The Collision. Rumors have it it may be released this year even (though when it will hit Netflix is unknown).  So maybe it was a good thing I put off watching this for so long because now I have a shorter wait for Part 2.

Regardless of Part 2, Part 1 is an excellent movie and could stand alone (though the ending is compelling enough to make you really want to see where she'll go next!).  Take the time to sit down and watch this movie. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the least!

Comments