Movie Review! Candyman (2021)

 


I've been a little busy with my businesses lately and haven't had much time to devote to this blog and review any of the movies or shows that I've been watching.  For that matter, I haven't had much time to devote to movies at all!  But I'm trying to schedule more time to myself and the thing I like most is watching a good horror movie.

When I first saw the trailers for Candyman, I was equally appalled and excited.  Appalled because I really wasn't looking forward to yet another remake.  But, I was also excited because I have seen very few good horror movies being pumped out of Hollywood and I have enjoyed most of Jordan Peele's so I felt it was worth the watch.

I avoided all of the press once I saw the first teaser trailer because I didn't want to know anything more about the film.  I wanted to see it with fresh eyes.  A month before it's release, I finally watched the full trailer to it and I was even more excited!  Now imagine how I felt when I realized that it was a sequel...and a very good one at that.

The 2021 version picks up with our main character, Anthony McCoy, an artist looking for inspiration for an upcoming art show.  He is living with his girlfriend in the newly renovated apartments.  Apartments that were part of a gentrification of Cabrini-Green - the site of the first movie.  Once he hears of the legend of Cabrini-Green, he begins to research the murders that happened twenty-seven years prior surrounding Helen Lyle the legend of Candyman.

As with all of Peele's movies, there is an undercurrent of hot political topics seeded throughout it's entirety.  The tagline "say his name" is a blatant reference to the hashtag used quite frequently surrounding police brutality across social media.  A theme that is the epitome of this franchise in general.

Where I did not find this movie to be as chilling as the 1992 version, it was creepy enough in its own right and well worth watching.  This is an excellent addition to the franchise and is a keeper in my opinon.

Check below for some links to the other movies plus some swag to show your love of the franchise.  I am an affiliate which means I could make a few pennies with your clicks as well.

Happy watching!  And happy fall...Halloween is just around the corner!


Comments