31 Days of Horror! The Cave (2005)

Having run out of movies I wanted to watch, I decided to re-watch this one. I've probably watched it at least a dozen times. And each time, I like it more. It has been a few years since I've seen it and despite the multiple viewings, I realized I had forgotten quite a few things. Namely, the beginning and the end.  So it was a pleasant surprise for an otherwise boring night at home.

The movie begins during the Cold War era when a group of treasure hunters search for and find an old abbey lost within the Carpathian Mountains.  Determined to find lost treasure, the group makes some poor decisions causing a landslide that buries them alive and destroys the abbey in the process.

Fast forward to a modern day group of treasure hunters/thrill seekers who are called in to an expedition to uncover the ruins of the abbey and also chart the cave structures found beneath.  Almost immediately, the group is beset with tragedy and catastrophe as an explosion cuts them off of their entrance.  Desperate to find a way back out, the group soon discovers being lost miles underground is the least of their concerns as they are being hunted by the creatures beneath.

The Cave stars Lena Headey, Cole Hauser, Daniel Dae Kim, Eddie Cibrian, Morris Chestnut, and Piper Perabo.  Though it may not be as scary as some other movies of it's ilk, it really was a fun romp and one that I'm glad I watched again.


Comments