31 Days of Horror! Homunculus

Netflix has been recommending this movie to me for months now and I have continually ignored it because I just wasn't sure if I would like it or hate it. Predictably, I'm somewhere in between.

Homunculus follows the story of a homeless man who undergoes an experimental procedure (trepenation) meant to awaken a person's psychic abilities. Even though he doesn't need the money, Susumu Nokoshi agrees to give the experiment 7 days.
Immediately, Susumu begins to experience strange occurrences, finding a completely new perspective when he closes his right eye and only uses the senses on his left side. In short, this surreal new world is a projection of people's traumas. 

There are some moments that are pretty thought provoking in an existential manner. There are quite a few disturbing scenes as well. I still haven't decided if I like the film or not and can't really say that I recommend it. Just know that it's one you have to judge for yourself.

Comments