31 Days of Horror! It Comes At Night

This one has been popping up in my queue for some time now.  I will admit, I wasn't that excited about seeing it. As with every year around this time, I will try just about any movie in my search for something entertaining.  Here's the scoop:

After a mysterious apocalypse leaves the world with few survivors, two families are forced to share a home in an uneasy alliance to keep the outside evil at bay -- only to learn that the true horror may come from within.

Honestly, the first few words hit the nail directly on the head: a mysterious apocalypse. The writers never reveal what it is, when it started, where it originated, is there hope, and how did they know how to survive?  All of these are not necessary of course considering this movie revolves around one family's survival.  Though the title also makes it a bit misleading.  In the aspect that you are expecting something to happen at night.  Yet, strangely, after enduring an hour of viewing, you realize night has nothing to do with it.  Whatever "it" is.

 
Instead we are left with a survivor's tale.  One family that comes across another family seemingly by coincidence and watch as the two try to mesh and, well, just survive the mysterious illness. It was not a bad movie to watch.  In fact, it was down right depressing in the end. I'm not sure I would peg this movie in the horror genre. I think I would straight up put it in with the dramas.  Either way, there were a few tense moments within and I think I enjoyed the boys dreams more than the rest.  I won't divulge any spoilers so I will keep my parting comments to myself.  But this movie also serves as a lesson as to what not to do when faced with an apocalypse.

Comments