31 Days of Horror! There's Someone Inside Your House

Wednesday I was very excited to see a new horror movie drop on Netflix! (Mainly because I'm running out of new horror movies to watch.) So of course I did not hesitate and I pushed play...

The set-up:
Makani Young has moved from Hawaii to quiet, small-town Nebraska to live with her grandmother and finish high school, but as the countdown to graduation begins, her classmates are stalked by a killer intent on exposing their darkest secrets to the entire town, terrorizing victims while wearing a life-like mask of their own face. With a mysterious past of her own, Makani and her friends must discover the killer's identity before they become victims themselves.

And yes, I copied and pasted because that pretty much sums it up perfectly. 

The movie is based off a book by the same name. If it's a straight forward adaptation, I'd wager the book was strongly influenced by the movie Scream. The movie definitely takes its lead from the other film and is a pretty straight forward formulaic horror movie akin to the '90's. (Though I would say this one is lacking the witty dialogue. What humor it attempts falls kind of flat.)

Don't get me wrong, I was entertained for the duration. But it's certainly a forgettable film as the characters lacked the depth necessary to take this movie from basic to great. I can't even say that it's similarity to Scream ruined it because the entire horror genre survives on one copycat after another. It just seemed to be packed with too...much.  None of the secrets were shocking. And the characters were all nonplussed with the reveals so the killer's attempt to shock, also fell rather flat.

What I did like, was the use of masks that copied the victim's faces.  That was clever. Unfortunately, for a movie with the title, There’s Someone Inside Your House, there were too few scares/murders within the victim's homes...
 

Comments