Series Review! Cowboy Bebop (2021)

 

When this first dropped, I was hesitant to watch it.  I never watched the original anime and, try as I might, I can't remember why.  Regardless, I was intrigued when this popped up in my recommends so I slated some time to view it.  And then I saw several posts by friends of mine that stated the Netflix series was trash and not to watch it.  I was intrigued...so I pushed play.

I will admit, it took a couple episodes to really get into it.  But much like a rolling boulder down a hill, once it started, it didn't stop and really gained momentum!

Considering I did not watch the original anime, I have zero basis of comparison.  I will be watching soon I'm sure but for now, this review is strictly on the show as it stands as a science fiction series.  I was drawn to it, and ignored other's recommendations to avoid it, because a) it's science fiction, and b) the cast.

John Cho stars as Spike Spiegel, bounty hunter extraordinaire who is partners with Jet Black, played by Mustafa Shakir.  This duo alone really makes the show.  Add to that, Daniella Pineda co-stars as Faye Valentine.  All three are Cowboys (bounty hunters) who travers the cosmos in Jet's ship, Bebop, trying to earn a worthy paycheck.  Their adventures are truly more misadventures while the comedy throughout is definitely darker than most viewers are probably used to (and is probably what won me over in the end).

I'm not one for going into details because I really loathe spoilers and try not to reveal any in my reviews.  That being said, don't go into this thinking that the characters are cut and dry.  They each are more caricatures that evolve into fully fleshed characters.  The filming still maintains that comic feel with the angles of the photography and set direction.  Which really makes me want to watch the original anime now.  Thankfully Netflix also has it and you can bet your sweet bottom dollar that it is already in my queue ready for a weekend binge fest.  Maybe then I can understand some of the hate but honestly, I don't think I will feel it.  This show was just fun and the way they ended it, I'm already looking forward to a second season!

Love it or hate it..?  Drop a comment and let me know what you thought of it!


Comments