Movie Review! You Should Have Left

 


Took a break from Netflix the other night (shocker I know) and headed over to Amazon Prime to see what they had to offer. When I saw there was a new (to me) movie with Kevin Bacon I gave it a shot. It wasn't too bad either!

The blurb: 

A successful couple take their daughter on a trip to the Welsh countryside for a holiday. A series of sinister events take place which indicate that all is not what it seems.

From Wikipedia:

You Should Have Left is a 2020 American psychological horror film written and directed by David Koepp, based on the 2017 book of the same name by Daniel Kehlmann. It stars Kevin Bacon, and Amanda Seyfried. Jason Blum served as a producer through his Blumhouse Productions banner.

Originally intended to be theatrically released, the film was released digitally via Premium VOD on June 18, 2020, by Universal Pictures.

Until I searched for the blurb to share, I didn't realize the movie was based on a novella. I might just have to look into that!


 

Back on track: As it stands, the movie wasn't bad. I do wish they had played more with the oddities of the house and the square given to them by the shop keeper. It had all the makings for The House of Leaves creepiness. But, much like that book, the movie also fell through on the dimensional stuff. Still creepy in parts and it held my interest so that is saying something. 

Overall, not a bad addition to the Blumhouse line up!



Comments